St. Nicholas Churchyard Cemetery
Brockenhurst, Hampshire, England
Page 1

Due to its proximity to the port of Southampton, its railway connections and an abundance of large houses in the area, Brockenhurst was chosen in 1915 by the War Office to become a hospital centre. Initially, Lady Hardinge's Hospital (named after the wife of the Viceroy of India) for the Indian troops of the Lahore and Meerut Divisions was established south of the village. This was then replaced by No.1 New Zealand General Hospital in June 1916, after the Indian Divisions were replaced by ANZAC troops. The New Zealand Hospital remained at Brockenhurst until closed early in 1919. The churchyard contains 106 graves of the First War, of which one hundred are in the New Zealand plot. In addition to the 93 New Zealand graves, there are also three Indian and three unidentified Belgian civilians (employed at the Sopley Forestry camp). On the East side of the New Zealand plot is memorial (seen here) incorporating a Cross.
(Text courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission)



Another view of the New Zealand troops memorial at St. Nicholas Churchyard.



Another view of the New Zealand troops memorial at St. Nicholas Churchyard.



Another view of the New Zealand troops memorial at St. Nicholas Churchyard.



Close-up of the crest on the memorial.
(All photos courtesy of Sandra Meacock)
© 2010 Sandra Meacock all rights reserved





Page 1
Page published Apr. 9, 2010



久久天天躁夜夜躁狠狠_在线高清视频不卡无码_性爱网